“Sitting is the new cancer” ~Apple CEO Tim Cook
It’s time we get moving! More than ever, our society is sitting throughout the day and becoming obese because of it. These long periods of sitting are causing weight gain, disease and a host of other health problems. Exercising for an hour a day, can’t combat the amount of sitting in a 24 hour period.
Use these tips to keep you moving throughout the day.
- Use the last 10 minutes of every hour to take a short walk, whether it’s to the lobby of your office, to a friends desk or down the hall.
- Stand during phone calls. “Standing works your core no matter what you are doing and automatically engages your whole body.” ~Adam Borstein of Born Fitness
- Sit on a stability ball at your desk. Every so often, sit up straight, squeeze your core and roll back and forward and side to side.
- Keep your posture in check when sitting at your desk. Don’t round your shoulders or jut your chin out. Check out this Pinterest board for more tips on office ergonomics.
- Hold as many small group meetings (1-3 people) as you can walking outdoors. Nature will calm you and get your creative juices flowing.
- At lunch time, do this workout – 10 jumping jacks, 10 push ups, 12 air squats, 15 bridge hip thrust, 20 superman pulses, hold a plank for :30 seconds. Finish with another round of 10 jumping jacks.
- Always take the stairs.
- Park far from the building.
- If you are able to verbally speak with someone by walking to their desk then choose this option over email.
- Use a pedometer. Work to get in 10,000 steps daily.